It Moose Be Love! My Turn

When I heard the title of this hop, I knew I was in! According to Joan, this challenge is to show us what you LOVE; moose of course are optional. The good news is that I had a moose quilt that needed to be finished and this hop was the incentive I needed to get back to it.

Just to be clear, no moose were injured in the making of this quilt! I did see this sign on the shop hop tour this summer and it’s an excuse to share the joy of things that make me smile in Maine.

The Moose Quilt Top

©Sew Fresh Quilts

Several years ago I was able to get this pattern, Moose Buffalo Plaid, from Sew Fresh Quilts. I believe Lorna was having a giveaway as she began to destash paper patterns. I began this quilt in January 2023, yup a year ago, and then it sat.

When we left off, the basic moose was finished, but I didn’t know how big I wanted to go.

For the second time in its life, this fabric and project accompanied me on retreat in Bolton, MA. There, I decided to add one more border of the buffalo plaid and a border. These fabulous pine trees were just perfect, and it was one I had purchased on the New England Shop Hop, doubly perfect. The pine tree is one of the symbols for the State of Maine.

I also made the back from some of the leftover pieces; fewer scraps is always a bonus.

Quilting the Quilt

I auditioned a few designs for the quilt. A moose is a very large animal, and while this quilt wasn’t that big it was a touch too big for my frame to do it right side up without clamping – a more tedious process. You will see when it is on the frame, I had to quilt it side to side rather than top to bottom. Some designs will not work that way so I had to be careful.

You can see some of the choices I looked at for quilting designs, using Prostitcher and Designer to audition the designs to make sure they worked on the moose. As I looked at these, the first one seemed a little bit like barbed wire, the second trees were a little too whimsical, the leaves were perfect, and the last felt it drew more attention to the square lines/plaid than the moose.

The maple leaves were my choice and it quilted well.

I bound it with this great black and white fabric I brought up from Medford. Glad to use another piece in the pile.

And, the other day we took it to visit a fellow moose!

It Moose Be Love is for sure the theme of this quilt!

Schedule Of Blog Hoppers

Here’s the full schedule of blog hoppers, and we are on Wednesday, Day 3 so there are lots of goodies to look at and one more day to go. Visit some if you have time – we love company in blogland.

Monday, February 19

Scrapdash

Quilt Statistics

Buffalo Plaid Moose 51″ x 48″
Pattern: Buffalo Plaid Moose by Sew Fresh Quilts/Lorna McMahon
Quilting Pattern: Prostitcher Maple Leaves
Piecing Thread: Aurifil Dove grey
Quilting Thread: Floriani PF1586 (Cabernet) in the top and DecoBob Grey in the bottom
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom 80/20

Coming Up on My Blog

It’s a busy week on my blog, this is the second post this week and I am hosting my Tips and Tutorials and TGIFF – phew. And I wound up with 3 commission quilts this month – something I rarely do. Must have been a week moment or two!

Linking

Sew and Tell
Midweek Makers #423
TGIFF
Finished or Not Friday
Wednesday Wait Loss
Favorite Monthly Finish

Fabric Stash

Still down for the year!
Fabric in this month: 0 yards Fabric in this year: 0 yards
Fabric out this month: 5.5 yards Fabric out this year: 20.75 yards
NET Fabric:   -20.75 yards

1. February 21, 2024 / 1:51 AM

Love you Moose quilt!!! I used to go moose hunting with my hubby in the fall (always unsuccessful!) and the maple leaves make me think of fall, so your quilting is absolutely perfect! 🙂

2. February 21, 2024 / 7:42 AM

Your moose quit is fantastic! I think know exactly where you went in Bolton, MA for the retreat…I live in the next town over!

3. February 21, 2024 / 7:42 AM

Kathleen what a fabulous (fabu-moose?) quilt! I especially love the pine tree fabric and that pretty black print binding. Your quilting just sets it off beautifully.

4. February 21, 2024 / 7:48 AM

That is a neat moose quilt! Love the plaid look of the background, and I like the red and black! I agree that the leaves for quilting was the perfect design. Congrats on finishing it. Thanks for sharing!

5. Joan
    February 21, 2024 / 8:13 AM

Ohhhhh…seeing your moose quilt makes my heart swoon. I do remember that pattern is on my wish list. That buffalo plaid is calling my name. Love your photo op with the big moose too! 🙂

6. Cocoa Quilts
    February 21, 2024 / 8:18 AM

Beautiful moose quilt! I love the added border with the trees.

February 21, 2024 / 8:30 AM

I love your moose quilt, Kathleen!!! I enjoyed seeing the different panto options on the quilt. Your moose on moose photo is the best!!! Do you ever see moose in your neck of the woods? I’ve never seen one in Minnesota–they’re waaaaay up north. But I have seen them in Montana and Wyoming.

8. Karrin Hurd
    February 21, 2024 / 8:48 AM

Love your ,moose quilt! Great finish!

9. sewswift
    February 21, 2024 / 9:12 AM

The leaves were perfect for quilting that handsome moose. I love the red and black fabrics in the background…so cozy looking! Thanks for sharing the moose love, Kathleen!

10. February 21, 2024 / 9:18 AM

This is such a great finish! I remember years ago while driving along a highway up north, a moose walked right out in front of us. You give them lots of room – they are huge!

11. Vicki in MN
    February 21, 2024 / 9:59 AM

Perfect!!!

12. Julia
    February 21, 2024 / 11:16 AM

Beautiful quilt! The quilting is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

13. selina
    February 21, 2024 / 12:51 PM

So happy to see your sweet moose is out and about and has made moose friends along the way. It may have taken awhile to complete but it was so worth it. Great job.

14. February 21, 2024 / 3:09 PM

Hi Kathleen! Does your moose have a name? If not, I’m mentally calling him Murray. I absolutely LOVE how your quilt finished. Every.single.thing. It was well worth the wait and its two visits to Bolton. Nice job! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

15. February 21, 2024 / 3:55 PM

A fantastic Moose quilt, for sure! Glad you were able to get it done, it was fun reading how it came to be. Fun picture of the Moose crossing, too.

16. Lj Meyers
    February 21, 2024 / 6:31 PM

I love buffalo plaid/gingham checks so much that I immediately fell in love with your quilt. The leaves are perfect for the quilting and fit so well with the moose.

17. Chrisknits
    February 21, 2024 / 7:33 PM

I do believe it was meant to be!! Perfect all the way around.

18. February 21, 2024 / 7:40 PM

Thanks for sharing your magnificent moose!

19. February 22, 2024 / 12:02 AM

That is a fantastic quilt. Lorna’s patterns are all so nice.

20. February 22, 2024 / 8:34 AM

Congrats on finishing up this event, Kathleen!!

21. February 22, 2024 / 9:52 AM

Fabulous, I LOVE it! And your comment regarding the moose sign had me crackin’ up. Thank you for sharing and for the laugh.

22. February 22, 2024 / 3:42 PM

Your moose turned out beautifully. I loved seeing the auditioned designs overlays. Your choice was perfect.

23. patternprincess1
    February 22, 2024 / 9:06 PM

Beautiful photo finish next to the majestic moose. It is amazing what technology does for quilting. I had never seen the overlay of how quilting an item would look with different designs. thanks for sharing and helping me learn.

24. February 23, 2024 / 9:39 AM

He is AWESOME!!! and standing next to his statue brother is a super cool photo!!! COngrats on the awesome finish!

25. February 24, 2024 / 1:18 AM

wow, lots of moose there!! Love your quilt, so good that this blog hop helped you finish it! xx

26. February 25, 2024 / 4:32 PM

love the moose on the red and great photo shoot!

27. mlmcspadden
    February 26, 2024 / 9:48 AM

Fabulous quilt!

28. February 26, 2024 / 2:01 PM

I love it when there is a gentle nudge to get something completed, and this hop was definitely perfect for finishing your moose! The leaves were a great choice, and I think auditioning the different quilting plans is really smart. Thanks so much for linking up with Favorite Finish!

29. March 3, 2024 / 5:28 PM

I love the moose, and seeing it next to the statue of the moose is stunning. I have never seen a moose in real life, but seeing things like this to see the scale of them is always so impressive to me! I’ve never thought to audition quilting – although, I only straight-line quilt at the moment. That is something I’m going to tuck away to try someday. I think the maple leaves were the perfect choice!

30. Denise M Palmer
    March 15, 2024 / 4:07 PM

I really like the panel you chose, I think it would look adorable with the Birthday Cake panel or maybe a Christmas Panel.

31. Vicky
    March 15, 2024 / 5:15 PM

First time visitor! I’m following along on the Blog Hop 🙂 Such wonderful ideas! I think I’d use a Christmas or Halloween panel for the 31 quilt.

32. Sandra
    March 16, 2024 / 9:28 AM

I would do 31 in a Christmas theme. Love to make quilts for the season and this would be a quicky.

33. Anita Gambrell
    March 17, 2024 / 10:23 PM

I love the panel you used. I think I would use a panel with hot air balloons!