A Folded 8-Pointed Star

The season for holiday sewing continues. I finished a binding for my neighbor across the street but I wanted a little something to be finished for me! I was cleaning up my studio – actually looking for my clover binding tools, but that is another story – and ran across this. I decided this was the year, and in fact, believe I was encouraged by Gail @QuiltingGail to get it done and I did!

Folded Star

I can’t tell you when I began this folded star, but I am guessing early in the 2000’s. It could be older than that, but whenever it was, I had done all but the last round. I think I was looking for other fabric and then was unsure how to finish.

This was begun with hand piecing to a background, but you can do this all on a machine if you use Plum Easy Interfacing and Pattern (kit with both available here*). I remember starting this, but I didn’t have the hand-finishing instructions so I made it up. Again, looking for something else, I remembered I had this pattern for the Folded Star and the Interfacing Pieces. I have made a pot holder with this pattern but what I needed was an idea of how to finish the piece. Voila! I used the measurements on the pattern to make the last 4 folded triangles and the 4 folded squares for the corners.

I decided to use a little batting and secured the last row with a bit of the Glide Sand that was still on my machine from the stockings. I then found just enough of the fabric for the binding – I wanted to pull out that red in the center, a bit better. The backing was another piece in this old pile of Christmas fabric. It is perfect on the back. I didn’t fuss with the back of the binding too much, as it will never be seen except for its showing here. All in all, it worked and it looks pretty and is no longer a UFO!

SAHRR 2024

Just a warning that Stay At Home Round Robin will start up in the new year. I am one of the hosts and already know the plan, so I have a little head start. I began work today on the blocks, but wanted you to begin thinking if you have a block from a test that you would like to make into a quilt. Take a look as you clean for the next project and see if you can join us. We are an easy group. We give you a prompt for the upcoming week and you can work it the way you want. The dates are January 15 – March 18 when we show off our finished tops. You get a few weeks from the last prompt to get your top done. Oh, yes, there are prizes, too!

Coming Up on My Blog

The Ultimate Travel Bag is still on the back burner, hoping to work a tiny bit on it Tuesday and Wednesday this week. SAHRR is underway but under wraps! It is also time to celebrate the end of the year and look forward to the new year

Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd
Diatom
Ultimate Travel Bag
Sea Glass Joy
SAHRR

Linky Parties

Sew & Tell
Monday Musings

Fabric Stash

So let’s call this a half yard for this finish.
Fabric in this month: 0 yards
Fabric out this month 2.5 yards
Fabric in this year: 89.25 yards
Fabric out this year: 118 yards
NET Fabric:  -28.75 yards

1. Linda P
    December 18, 2023 / 7:05 AM

Thanks for the folded star option.. It been on my list for a long time!

2. December 18, 2023 / 7:48 AM

Good for you for doing something for yourself. That’s what I’m doing in my room lately – lol! Your folded star is beautiful and I LOVE the fabric you used for the back! I tried a folded star a few years ago and lost my way and gave up on it. I should try it again.

3. December 18, 2023 / 9:07 AM

I’m so glad I’m not alone with old projects still waiting to be finished. I currently have one on the design wall; I’m giving it the side-eye while I think about how/whether I want to finish it . . .

4. December 18, 2023 / 10:30 AM

Cute! I’m so glad you were able to get this finished for yourself in time to enjoy for the rest of the season.

5. Gail
    December 18, 2023 / 10:59 AM

The folded star is beautiful! A fantastic UFO finish!
    The SAHRR is promising to be great! So excited for it!

6. December 18, 2023 / 2:51 PM

That is such a wonderful feeling when you pull something out and finish it. Love it!

December 18, 2023 / 4:27 PM

Timely finish, Kathleen!!! I love the fabrics that you used, front and back!

8. Laurel
    December 19, 2023 / 9:20 AM

That is a beautiful little piece! You’ve encouraged me to look for little projects I have tucked away in my sewing room! Merry Christmas

9. Chrisknits
    December 19, 2023 / 10:03 AM

Oh, so glad you took on the SARR!! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Love the Folded Star, I made a few of those last year but rounded them off to make Trivets. So fun.

10. December 24, 2023 / 7:59 AM

Congratulations on finishing up this festive UFO, Kathleen!

11. December 25, 2023 / 5:13 PM

Great that you could finish a ‘vintage’ project for yourself! I remember when these were very popular, also done with fabric and pins on a styrofoam ball to make a tree ornament.