Bee Batter Up! Challenge Quilt

You may be curious what the heck I am up to, and this title is surely an odd one. The Sewatorium Sisters challenge themselves most years for our annual quilt show. This year we are using sayings and a piece of designated fabric. Keep reading for more information on this fun little quilt.

The Challenge Explained

Since covid we have met in a hybrid bee. In the beginning of covid, , we met by zoom. Each week our fearless coordinator Chris would send out an email with a Bee title. Here are a few….Bee Brave (one of the first), Bee Bopping, Bee Buzzing, Bee Bedraggled, and when we finally went on retreat, Bee Bolting to Bolton. For our challenge, we were to take one of the titles and make an 8-1/2″ x 11″ quilt and use the bee fabric! I knew what I would do – Fenway Park, bees on the field….now to make the quilt!

Making the Quilt

I found a picture of Fenway Park and downloaded it. I then printed it on on 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper =. the size of the finished quilt. I cut it apart.

I traced it on to fusible, remembering that to be able to fuse the fabric correctly, I would need the front of the photo facing the paperbacked fusible. Yup, it worked!

I then cut and fused the pieces. Layering and quilting was the next task. I used a backing on the sandwich, as I knew the scribble for some of the fine skyline details would not be gorgeous on the back. I stitched around every raw edge with Superior MonoPoly*. It works like a charm and no need to change thread! Then the fine details were to be done.

I scribbled the light posts, the Citgo sign background and the John Hancock sign with thread! You can almost make out some of the letters, but it really wasn’t necessary.

I then used a fancy stitch to put the red triangle in the Citgo sign. I also embroidered Fenway Park for fun.

Selecting the fabric was fun. That green field fabric mimicked the lawnmower lines. The corner fabric and fabric on the middle left looks a little like the heads of people in the stands. The little bit of of Hoffman digital city fabric from 7 or 8 years ago that I had filled in the city details. I really had fun with this!

Coming Up on My Blog

I will be gone from sewing the 7 to 18th of October for a lovely vacation. This may be my last finish before I return. I have 2 of my quilts to quilt – Diatom and Yoga #1 and 2 benefit quilts. We will see if I keep forging through or take some time to concentrate on travel plans!

Ultimate Travel Bag
Tips/Tutorials on the 22nd
Yoga Quilt #1
Diatom Quilted

Linky Parties

Finished or Not Friday
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Sew & Tell

Fabric Stash

This includes my shop hop! I have lost some ground and didn’t get much out with this finish, but I am still loosing fabric!
Fabric in this month: 19.5 yards
Fabric out this month 9.75 yards
Fabric in this year: 81.25 yards
Fabric out this year: 98.75 yards
NET Fabric: -17.5 yards

1. October 1, 2023 / 12:11 AM

Oh, that’s super fun! I bet it will be delightful (bee-lightful???) to see what all the others in your bee make and what phrase they choose to work with.

2. Pamela Meyers Arbour
    October 1, 2023 / 5:17 AM

Your rendition of Fenway Park is so creative. I love it. Thanks for sharing your techniques too. I hope you have a lovely vacation.

3. October 1, 2023 / 8:24 AM

What a hoot! Your little bees on the field are so, so cute, and your fabrics are just perfect for each component. You nailed this one and sounds like you had so much fun doing it. Enjoy your lovely vacay! 😀

4. October 1, 2023 / 8:42 AM

Super cute challenge quilt, Kathleen, and enjoy your trip!!

5. October 1, 2023 / 11:34 AM

Well, that quilt creates quite a buzz! What a fun, creative project, and a great nod to an amazing ballpark, too! Enjoy your vacation!

6. October 1, 2023 / 12:16 PM

So creative and fun, Kathleen! You slugged this one out of the ball park! Love! 🙂

7. Cocoa Quilts
    October 1, 2023 / 4:24 PM

Kathleen your Fenway is awesome. I can’t even imagine getting the idea started, let alone getting it finished. Great job!!! Love those bees!!

8. Vicki in MN
    October 1, 2023 / 5:13 PM

I think you had a lot of fun coming up with that quilt and then executing it so cutely!

9. October 2, 2023 / 11:14 AM

KATHLEEN!!!!!! THIS IS SEW FABULOUS. I knew right away from the small thumbnail that this was Fenway Park (and I’ve never been). Oh, those bees on base and in the outfield. Too cool!! I have to agree with Laura that you slugged this challenge right out of the park. Grand slam for sure! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

10. Laurel
    October 2, 2023 / 9:22 PM

I love the little quilt! Thanks for sharing your process! Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

11. October 4, 2023 / 9:46 AM

That is an awesome piece!! I love the little Bee Baseball players!! you totally rose to the challenge!

October 5, 2023 / 6:33 PM

Too funny, too cute, Kathleen!!! I think that’s Rose on the pitchers mound! The rest of us are scattered all over!?! Have a great vacay!!!

13. October 7, 2023 / 9:18 AM

What a fun, fun quilt, Kathleen!! Those bees are adorable! Thank for sharing it with us on Monday Musings!

14. October 7, 2023 / 9:21 AM

I’m not sure my first comment came through! This is such a fun and cute quilt Kathleen! Thanks for sharing it with Monday Musings!

15. October 8, 2023 / 5:36 PM

What a fun project! Your way of using the fusible is really interesting to me, and wow, did you have the perfect skyline fabric. Have a beautiful trip!

16. Chriskntis