I have a fun little finish to show you. This quilt is part of a challenge that I am participating in. Sometimes, we wonder why we do things and this quilt falls into that category.
A local shop, Bits N Pieces from Pelham NH, was selling Three Yard Quilts on the Double** with a mystery yard of fabric. They love the 3 yard books and they are really fun and fast finishes. I made one from another book and thought this would be fun.
Now, of the fabrics I have not loved over the years, this fairy fabric is one of them. There certainly was an audible groan when I saw it. I just was not into it AND it is truly difficult to find coordinating fabric; I recall searching hard when I was working at the quilt store with many a customer. I shopped my stash and used this yellow and pink that I had. I tried a purple it didn’t work, I tried green it didn’t work. The yellow and pink were the best of the options. Truth be told, they are a little close in tone, and that makes it a little less than successful, but it will work for a young girl obsessed with fairies.
Before I set to cutting, I decided to mock up a few versions of the quilts in the book in Electric Quilt*. I try to upload fabrics as I buy them and this works pretty well when I do it. I decide on Louvers as I felt it really emphasized the feature fabric. I wanted to do Broad Strokes, but it really didn’t make my heart sing. I am of a mind to start grouping some of my fabrics and make some kits for these quilts!
The backing is a pattern of scattered pastel dots. Of course, it is not wide enough so my favorite method for dealing with this is to add a strip to the selvage edges, trim the seam to remove the edges, then cut apart in the center or wherever it suits you to not have the strip on the edge. I don’t love the look of a strip on the edge and feel like this is a better treatment.
I made the quilt top on my Bee Retreat and quilted it when I returned. One thing I learned on my retreat was to cut out some things before and they make for fast finishes. This is really a quick quilt and the variety of patterns would delight.
I quilted it on Tabitha, my Handiquilter Simply Sixteen* with Prostitcher and it was a breeze. I am getting better at doing these quick quilts. I wanted something whimsical and curvy, as the quilt top is very straight-lined. There were no fairy patterns on my system, but I liked the idea of butterflies and there are even some in the fabric. The batting I used was Bosal Katahdin Summer* weight batting. It feels and acts a lot like Quilters Dream*, probably my favorite batting.
In addition to being a finish for September, it is also part of my 100 Day Challenge, WIPs Be Gone 2021 with Leanne at Devoted Quilter. I have been taking it easy for a few months, and it feels time to pick up the speed. While I only needed to have the quilt top done for the contest, I am thrilled to have finished it and can move onto another quilt top that I made that weekend.
Some of you kindly ask about Percy, who seems to have made as full a recovery as we could imagine. We are so pleased to have him back to 95% of where he was earlier this year. More tests next week will let us know a little more, but right now our biggest inconvenience is every 2 hours (or when he has been overstimulated) we get him outside. A diaper at night is a necessity. We are hoping for another shift in meds that might get us to the next phase, but maybe not…elderly dogs are like puppies but harder to regulate some medical problems.
Coming Up on the Blog:
Block 12 – Destination QAL – 10/5
A Finished Purse
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – 10/22