A fun finish – Silicone Potholders

Once a quilt store employee, always a quilt store employee! Because of that, I was in the habit of finding fun little things to make and sell in the store when I am out and about. It seems my eyes still search out these things! The Silicone Potholder patterns kept calling my name; finally I bought one. I carried it to retreat at least two times and decided this would be the time to finish it. Yes, retreat was over a month ago and I am just posting.

The Potholder Pattern & Pad

This pattern* by Around the Bobbin was the one I picked. There may be others, but I liked the size and the pocket option. And, you can get “refills“* once you have used the pattern.

I bought both….what a surprise! Now the truth of the matter is that my potholder situation was awful. I always liked having a pocket on a potholder, but I have been using these ugly purple ones forever. Time for an upgrade.

The Finished Potholders

The instructions were a little unconventional for the “binding” the front fabric to the silicone pad. You know, you have an idea of how things are sewn together and you can’t ever get past that idea. The directions worked well, but my travel machine (Pfaff Passport 3.0) did not like making this initial seam, it was a little wonky on the bottom. I persisted.

They work great but are a bit large but I am learning to use them (veggie sausages in case you are wondering). They are such an improvement over my prior ones; I am so pleased. There is a 6-1/2″* one that finishes at 8″ which might be better. Maybe I will look for it next time I am out and about!

Two Tops to Share

A 3 night retreat was perfect; allowing plenty of time to sew. I finished two more tops and thought I would share them. I do hope to have them quilted by the beginning of August, for the next Art Sale, as they “fit the theme”

First up is “Pinked”, a Villa Rosa/Running Doe pattern. I once again signed up for the Running Doe Top A-Long and loved this pattern and finish. More details will follow in its finished post, but I was able to use a strip set that I had as an Island Batik ambassador and really love the top. I am not sure I will get a top done each month, but I am happy collecting patterns and thinking about it.

The second one is from a pattern, “Maid Marian”, also from Villa Rosa. It was perfect for the Birds and Berries of Maine (a 2020 fabric line) and is awaiting a finish in my studio. I actually passed a second set of fabrics, left from the first cutting, to my sewing friend. One is enough.

Coming Up on My Blog

The first Art Walk came and went, the next is August 11 and I am well on my way. I do plan to get back to some unpacking/reorganizing but I think I can quilt a few quilts in between and maybe get another Running Doe pattern done this month…we shall see!

4 Tops to Quilt (Diatom, Maid Marian, Yoga 2, Pinked)
Finish 6 more ferry pillows & 2 Casco Bay pillow
Unpack more of my studio

Linking Up

Sew and Tell
Monday Musings
TGIFF
Finished or Not Friday

Stash Report

Two bindings out…I call that 1 yard. And the safelight cases are about 1.5 yards! 3 yards in for a backing for the Carolyn Friedlander/Fire and Ice quilt.
Fabric in this month: 3 yards
Fabric out this month: 7.75 yards
Fabric in this year: 9 yards
Fabric out this year: 45.5 yards
NET Fabric:    -42.5 yards  (and I am down more again!).

1. July 9, 2024 / 8:47 AM

Cute cute potholders! The tops are beautiful. Hope you are enjoying your summer!

2. Vicki in MN
    July 9, 2024 / 9:09 AM

I love your ‘Pinked’ quilt. Wishing you all the best with the art sale.

3. July 9, 2024 / 9:54 AM

Sounds like your retreat was a success!! Your potholders are great – and love that Pinked quilt!

July 9, 2024 / 10:10 AM

Lisa of Around the Bobbin lives nearby and stops in at the quilt shop every now and then! I’ve made her oven mitts. Her silicone projects are innovative! Interesting to read your review, Kathleen! Sounds like you would recommend the small size.

5. LA Paylor
    July 9, 2024 / 10:16 AM

i had to go look up the pattern. So you insert a silicon mat and then sew thru it? what brand of veggie sausage do you got, mine are always so spicy…
    LeeAnna

6. July 9, 2024 / 10:20 AM

They look great, and I’m sure will be well used. Your two VRD quilts look great, too!

7. July 9, 2024 / 11:47 AM

Silicone potholders are really handy and it’s fun you can customize how yours look with the kit AND you can order refills – very nice! Sounds like a productive retreat, and good luck getting ready for the August art walk. :)

8. Denise
    July 9, 2024 / 8:03 PM

Cute. I was just looking at some ith pot holders yesterday.

9. patchoulimoonstudio
    July 11, 2024 / 6:14 AM

I love Around the Bobbin patterns! I am one of Lisa’s pattern testers and I tested the silicone potholder/trivet pattern for Lisa before she released the pattern. The small is a good size as a pot holder. The extra large makes a great trivet. She also has the Hot Stuff Oven Mitt in silicone and the Everyday Oven Mitt in silicone. Plus, the Snug as a Mug on a Rug (mug rug) and the coasters are all great too. Of course I am most partial to her bag designs. I really like the fabric that you used on yours and your quilt tops are pretty too!

10. July 14, 2024 / 5:16 PM

Sounds like you had a great time at your retreat and got a good bit accomplished! I have never seen a pattern like your silicone insert potholder/trivet pattern! Interesting. I think they look great! I do like the Around the Bobbin patterns. I’ll have to check that out! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog. However, if this is a blog hop, I sometimes am a bit delayed in replying and do miss a few. I will do my best!