Peaks and Valleys – A Finished Quilt

A line of interesting fabrics and a perfect pattern make for a delicious union in this quilt. I love Carolyn Friedlander’s fabrics; I couldn’t help falling in the love with the blueprint, foliage or succulent fabrics in this fat quarter bundle I picked up years ago. I didn’t have a specific need for it and when I was checking out my Villa Rosa Cards, I decided Fire and Rain would be perfect; made with a pack of 6 fat quarters and a background.

Furthermore, welcome to TGIFF – Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday! I am so pleased to be helping out this week and hosting. Its a fun party – share your finish from this week and visit some others who have shared theirs, too!

The Fire and Rain Pattern

I had 6 fat quarters and this pattern called for six! I only needed another yard for background. I was hoping to find a Carolyn Friedlander when I was looking, but wasn’t able to, so I used a nice white with tiny grey hexagons. It was perfect.

This quilt makes up very quickly. Fortunately, I precut the fabric so all I had to do was sew it on retreat. I was astonished how fast it went together. Also nice, was that I had planned it all out in Electric Quilt 8* and tried to find a way to balance the fabrics. I loaded the fabrics into the software, drew up the quilt and played. As always,I was pleased that I get a very good idea of what the finished quilt will look like.

I pieced the top at a quilt retreat in January and it sat. It took me awhile to find a backing I liked, but I did.

This gray print is from Camelot Fabrics and was called 80’s Arcade Gaming Icons – makes me smile. I really just like the way it worked with the Carolyn Friedlander fabrics.

The Quilting

I picked the Rhythmic Dance pantograph from Prostitcher Designs. It quilted fabulously and I really like the texture it gives.

It felt like an elevation map on the fabrics that were about blueprints and landscape designs and plants. I used Superior So Fine #408 and Decobob Grey #103in the bobbin. I had some pokeys come through on the fabric on the bottom, but I think that it was the nature of the fabric as the needle was new. I look forward to seeing it after it is washed. It almost always goes away.

Quilt Statistics

Peaks and Valleys 45″ x 54″
Pattern: Fire and Rain by Villa Rosa Designs
Thread: Piecing: Aurifil Dove
Quilting: Superior So Fine #408 and Decobob Grey #103
Pantograph: Rhythmic Dance by Prostitcher
Batting: Quilter’s Dream Select Cotton

Linky Party

Join in the party – we start early Thursday evening 6 pm (EDT) and end at midnight on Saturday. I love see what you finished this week and visit some others to encourage and celebrate our finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Coming Up on My Blog

This quilt was finished – even with my son visiting – hooray! On to Ferry Pillows for July 6, I expect I can do it in 6 days – 2 days for blocks, 2 days for quilting, and 2 days for backs.

TGIFF
Ferry Pillows
4 Tops to Quilt (Diatom, Maid Marian, Yoga 2, Pinked)

Linking Up

Sew and Tell
TGIFF
Finished or Not Friday

Stash Report

Hooray, 6 yards added to the depletion of fabric….
Fabric in this month: 0 yards
Fabric out this month: 12 yards
Fabric in this year: 9 yards
Fabric out this year: 57.5 yards
NET Fabric:     -48.5 yards

June 27, 2024 / 6:21 PM

Beautiful finish, Kathleen!!! I love how it all came together for you–fabric bundle, pattern, background fabric, quilting design and backing!!!

2. June 27, 2024 / 6:36 PM

I hadn’t seen this pattern before, I really like it. The fabrics came together nicely, happy stitching!

3. Vicki in MN
    June 28, 2024 / 7:46 AM

What a fast finish! The perfect fabrics for it! Thanks for hosting TGIFF!

4. June 28, 2024 / 8:25 AM

What a gorgeous finish Kathleen! I really like that pattern and your fabrics are just perfect for it. The quilting is so pretty!

5. Bernie
    June 28, 2024 / 11:05 AM

What a fun pattern – I would love to make this in some sort of southwest color palette – I like the border rectangles. Very pretty!

6. quiltinglearningcombo
    June 28, 2024 / 12:18 PM

Hi Kathleen, that’s a really lovey quilt! Those are really great fabrics. Thanks for hosting TGIFF – I’m glad that I could make it this week. Take care.

7. June 28, 2024 / 12:38 PM

Oh, I love how much the finished quilt looks like the mockup you created in EQ8. I adore Carolyn’s prints and this pattern was perfect for them.

8. Chrisknits
    June 28, 2024 / 10:09 PM

What a wonderful quilt!!! Sorry I don’t have anything to add, this has been a bad week. I really need to finish something.

9. June 29, 2024 / 12:00 PM

A lovely finish! I was familiar with their patterns but really enjoyed visiting the Villa Rosa booth at Quilt Con this year (aka bought a lot of stuff!). My MIL has a Moxie with Pro-Stitcher Lite, I will have to look to see if she has that stitch pattern or could upload it to her unit. I could see using that one in a lot of quilts.

10. July 4, 2024 / 7:24 AM

That turned out great, Kathleen! Congrats on another lovely quilt finish.

11. July 7, 2024 / 4:38 PM

What a great finish, Kathleen! I love the backing you chose and the motif you used for quilting it! Isn’t it nice to find something in ProStitcher that you love?! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings! Have a great week!

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog. However, if this is a blog hop, I sometimes am a bit delayed in replying and do miss a few. I will do my best!