Two Benefit Quilts & Safelight Cases

Benefit quilts always make me happy. While, I didn’t make these, I was able to quilt them for my guild, Rising Star Quilters. The other little thing I will show you are 3 sets of cases I made, and the story about where they are going. Giving is better than receiving, and I am so pleased to share these finished items with you.

Dragonfly Quilting

This needed a fun and whimsical pantograph. I chose the dragonfly and as you can see, there are some in the fabric on the quilt, too. I loved the way this stitched out, perfect for a comfort quilt.

It looked simple enough, this pattern called “Dragonflies” from Vickie Malaski in the Prostitcher program. I got it all set up and started the machine and crash…into the bars. Now, when you do that you get so mad at yourself. It is a rookie mistake not checking the size of the pantograph (12.4″ x 12.4″ for the first repeat) and I didn’t.

Lesson learned. I forgot to check the top and bottom of the design. It was a tad too big for my frame, easily adjusted before you quilt. My machine can do 11 -12″ but that is a stretch. I like it between 10 and 11″ for a design. I was able to finish the first row, then reduced its size by about a half inch on the subsequent rows….much better.

The binding was from some leftover binding bits I had, strips I had and can I say I am so happy to have used some of the saved binding! I know there is another bag hiding in the closet with things from Massachusetts, and it will be good to see if there is binding of any length that is worth keeping when another opportunity arises!

Mod Bones 2 Quilting

This cute quilt had who I thought of as Blue’s Clues dog on it, and was just as sweet as can be.

I did a little editing on the bones pantograph – thank you ProStitcher classes! I made the repeat for a row then cut off the tails in the front and back so it was self contained in the quilt.

I had no problems quilting this one, no bumping into the bar. It is always good when it the quilting is smooth. My Simply Sixteen has been with me almost 5 years – I am still in love with it. There was a little overlap on the top and bottom that was cropped, but it is better than having that space blank. This design nested quite deeply into the prior row.

When I quilt benefit quilts, I finish them. I found a nice brown in my stash (the dimple line) for the binding and it was a quick finish later. The label was also attached.

It felt good to finish the second of these quilts. I have had them at least 1 year….shame on me.

Washing the Quilts

Off to the washing machine they went. I always hold my breath but they washed up well. Since I have a front loader that will unbalance, I always add something that won’t pick up the color, usually my exercise clothes or fleece. They came out perfectly. FYI, I wash on warm/cold and add 2 color catchers in each load. These quilts are about 45″ x 50″.

I will count the bindings as out of my stash, but this doesn’t count for a finish.

Safelight Cases

I made 3 sets of cases for Carole at From My Caroline Home and her Safelight Project. She prepares wonderful bags of goodies for residents of Safelight shelter. These three items come from her pattern – a tissue case, a sunglass case and a makeup bag – are part of the lovely caring sets she creates. I also sent her some card making supplies that I was never going to use – each bag gets a card with an encouraging note in it. I was so glad to send these to her, and will be making more soon!

Coming Up on My Blog

I will be on quilt retreat June 2-5, which probably means adding a few more things to the quilting que. Yikes!

Here is what you should see soon:
– Fire and Rain with Carolyn Friedlander fabrics (needs to be quilted)
– Diatom (needs to be quilted)
– Luminous Layers (needs to be quilted)
– Yoga 2 (top done)

Linking Up

TGIFF
Finished or Not Friday
Monday Musings

Stash Report

Two bindings out…I call that 1 yard. And the safelight cases are about 1.5 yards! 3 yards in for a backing for the Carolyn Friedlander/Fire and Ice quilt.
Fabric in this month: 3 yards
Fabric out this month: 7.75 yards
Fabric in this year: 9 yards
Fabric out this year: 45.5 yards
NET Fabric:    -42.5 yards  (and I am down more again!).

1. June 1, 2024 / 8:26 PM

Super cute quilts, Kathleen! I really like the doggie! And how fun to be able to contribute such nice items to Safelight! 🙂

2. June 1, 2024 / 11:15 PM

Oh my, I’m glad it all worked out with the repeat on the first quilt. Having it crash into your rollers was probably a heart stopping moment. I really like the browns in the second quilt and I think it’s fascinating I’m drawn to brown right now. Maybe I should explore that more!

3. lee
    June 2, 2024 / 6:19 AM

Both lovely quilt- Love those dog bones quilted! Safelight – a great group to donate to. I need to make some cards and send them to Carole!

4. Vicki in MN
    June 2, 2024 / 7:53 AM

Great job on the quilting, nice that you can resize the quilting design. I hope your DH’s procedure went well.

5. June 2, 2024 / 8:43 AM

Lovely donation items, Kathleen, and have a ton of fun on retreat!

6. Eva
    June 2, 2024 / 8:51 AM

You are a very busy bee… hope I use the right words to give you a compliment. Love the little works from leftovers. I learn fabrics for children could be taken from scrap/ lefts and the fit together if they have a good variety. I have to go out of my comfort zone to think about which fabric matches best. Love the quilts you did. The sentence giving is better than getting… I love it. Happy sunday!

7. June 2, 2024 / 8:53 AM

Love that dragonfly quilting, and oops on the crash! The quilt turned out quite pretty. Guess you’re on your retreat today – have fun!

8. June 2, 2024 / 9:37 AM

What wonderful finishes, both big and small! And all to worthy causes. Thanks for sharing with TGIFF!

9. June 2, 2024 / 9:58 AM

Two cute quilts and quilting designs! I learned something, too – I don’t know much about pantos and all that, so that was interesting to me!

10. June 2, 2024 / 10:36 AM

adorable quilts!! the quilting designs are just perfect on them – even better when they don’t crash!!! LOVE it!

June 3, 2024 / 12:08 AM

Wonderful gifts, Kathleen!!! Fun pantos! Have fun at the retreat! Looking forward to your retreat projects!!!

12. June 3, 2024 / 10:17 AM

Those are some very nice finishes. I particularly like the doggy quilt — I’m a sucker for dogs even though I don’t own one. It’s interesting to see how different long arms work. And, to see which quilting designs you’ve used. Nice eye candy today.

13. Anja @ Anja Quilts
    June 6, 2024 / 8:48 PM

Great finishes. I hope you had a great time at retreat.

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog. However, if this is a blog hop, I sometimes am a bit delayed in replying and do miss a few. I will do my best!