My most recent quilting finish began in January of 2019. It was then that I started Sewing-Along with Sherry Shish at Powered By Quilting and her Hidden Stars Pattern. I loved the pattern and I had tested it for her – you can see what happened to that block here. It was fun to jump on the bandwagon and play with this great group of people. All the instructions are on her website so you can still do it!
We began the first week of January. I cut and labelled my piles. This was a group of fabrics I won at some point in the past, and I often try to use these winnings for benefit quilts – I like the idea of sharing the joy.
The quilt had been assembled for awhile, since early March. During my spring fling quilting retreat, which was the first weekend in April, I was able to sandwich the quilt. It seems that the time since then was really busy, but I did want to get it done before the end of the month.
I used my Westalee clamshell ruler* from the starter pack. It isn’t perfect, but I will wash it and I bet most of the imperfections will disappear. I had been waiting for the right quilt to do the clamshell and yippee this one was calling its name. It took took an afternoon and a half – not too bad. One thing I don’t like about the Westalee foot on my Bernina, is that screw loosens and you need to retighten or the ruler goes under the foot. Since I’ll be doing most of my quilting on my new machine, I am not sure whether I want to get another foot that works better. That said, I love the ruler work, I could not eyeball this kind of quilting at all.
I picked (ha ha) a cheery strawberry print for the back (from a sale rack) and it is just perfect.
I used a new to me batting by Bosal – so I am curious to see how it washes. The batting I have used and washed most frequently is Quilter’s Dream – and I have never had a problem with it – so I am curious to see how this goes. It is on the list for next week, I’ll let you know how it works out. I have two quilts that I’ll be experimenting with next week in this manner.