Its time for our second quilt along block from one of our designers! I loved doing the mug block, designed by April Adams of Janda Bend Quilts as I got to play with some of my favorite colors. It is a relatively simple pattern, so it will go quickly. It is such a fun block that I may make another one or two before it is all over for some mug rugs. Perfect wouldn’t you say?
- Again, mark your pieces, there are slight size differences in a few pieces and it is always helpful to not have to remeasure or rip!
- I wrote my colors next to April’s colors on the pattern piece.
- I also put measurements on some of the pieces on the pattern. OK – I made a nice one for you – see above.
- For the words you have a few choices, I choose to use a pen and write the words then embroider them.
I used my Daylight Wafer 1* to trace the letters. Quilt Con pushed me over the edge on this purchase and I have used it at least twice since then, and I know I would never pull my old one out like I did this. It is so nice to have. For the writing I used a Sakura Pigma Micron .05* pen to draw the letters, in black, as that was the color thread I choose. It helps hide any skips in the embroidery.
Here’s the partially embroidered block using a small hoop, a black valdani 12 wt pearl cotton (so not splitting of embroidery floss) and a needle threader – very carefully. Needle threading is a problem with thicker threads. I used my regular Collins larger threader, holding the wire tightly so as not to break the threader. Someday, I do need to find something I like for threading needles with thicker threads – am thinking this one from Clover* may do the trick – I will let you know!
Let’s get back to the actually embroidery. It was fast to do, it only took 2 nights in front of the TV and I was all set. I always keep this with me for my embroidery stitches – a handy laminate card* that tells me what my stitches should look like.
This is another version I would like to make. I have the fabric, but I am going to wait to see if it gets used elsewhere in the blocks. I wanted to keep the first one exactly as the designer did it – for hosting this block.
There are prizes…but you have time….
- A brand new item from Omnigrid® (a Prym Company) Large Folding Cutting Kit – 18 x 24″ mat and a 45 mm rotary cutter
- Timeless Treasures Tonga Treat Strip Jr. “Orchid” -20 pc 2 1/2″ strip pack
- 2 Shabby Fabrics Vintage Blessings printed table runner patterns and a packet of Sunflower laser-cut appliqués (small.)
- and some fabric from Paintbrush Studios
- And, a free PDF pattern from each our designers: Sandra Healey, April, and Sherry Shish
How to Win Prizes
Segment Prize Eligibility:
Finish all blocks in a segment and post on either our linky party, our facebook page or instagram with #sewletsqal. One picture/post with all finished items is needed – by May 20 11:59 for Segment 1)
Grand Prize Eligibility:
Finish all 13 blocks and put in either 1 quilt top (does not have to be quilted) OR a number of smaller projects that contain all 13 blocks.
*March 12th – Block 1: Sandra @ Sandra Healy Designs
*March 26th – Block 2: April @ JANDA Bend Quilts
*April 9th – Block 3: Sherry @ Powered by Quilting
*April 23rd – Block 4: Bobbi @ Snowy Days Quilting
*May 7th – Block 5 & Project Suggestions: Abbie @ Sparkle On!
*May 21st – Segment 1 Prize Winner Announced!J
(Specific details on these segments later)
Segment 2: May 21st to July 16th
July 16th – Segment 2 Prize Winner Announced!
Segment 3: July 16th to September 10
September 10th – Segment 3 Prize Winner Announced!
September 24th – Grand Prize Winner Announced!
Other things I am up to
- My Island Batik ambassador work continues – here’s this months quilt.
- I’ll be posting some tutorial links for Hands2Help and hosting on May 14.
- I’m designing with friends at mmm!quilts on Facebook (private group) – join us – we make 30 designs in 60 days. You can draw or use a computer program.
- And, I’ll play with another QAL – Beothuk Star – with Sandra. Its just starting so plenty of time to sign up.
- And finally, more design work and study for me. I hope to write a pattern or two in the next few weeks. Watch for an announcement.
I’ll be watching for your blocks!Disclaimer: *Links with asterisk indicate an affiliate link and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Your price is not any different, but a small percentage of the sale will go to supporting my blog.