Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – #52 – Packing for a Retreat

Welcome to this month’s edition of Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd where we share our favorite quilting or sewing tips and tutes! It has been a busy month closing our apartment in Medford MA and relocating our things in our cottage. It feels more like home, but there is still a bunch of stuff to put away – mostly my responsibility as it is my office, sewing and clothing that needs to be fully integrated. After tomorrow, I have a few more quiet days so more progress will be made

Last Month’s Link Ups

Here are Aprils’s links:

• Andree had a tutorial about working from sketch to a quilt.
  • Yvonne shared her tutorial about working with stitch and flip units.

I am looking forward to seeing your name here next month…you have a few days to come up with an inspiring tip or tutorial to share.

Retreat Packing

I have a retreat coming up the first week of June. My thoughts are on this project and what I need to do to get ready. I will share with you what I do to get ready, what I bring, and a list that I have been working with. Your list will change as it depends on what the retreat center provides, so I have edited it a bit so that you can easily figure out what to do.

I decided I would use a google spreadsheet, which you can then save to your favorite format. I divided it up into 3 major areas. I added a few other little ones on the spreadsheet, so you will have to open it to see it!

Projects:

• Make a list of what projects you want to bring. This is good to start a little before the retreat – a month is ideal, but 2 weeks is good.
    • Is there a project you are stuck on and need have group support?
    • Do you want to make a new pattern you picked up?
    • Do you have some quickies to give you satisfaction…a tablerunner or two.
  • Do you want to produce??? Then precut a few projects.
  • Make a list of what you might purchase (if a local quilt store or two is nearby).

I often find I stick in a few little things at the end that often don’t get touched, but they are there if I need to.

Sewing Equipment:

• Sewing Machine – include cord, oil, manual
  • Normal sewing supplies – rulers, rotary cutter, mat, scissors (fabric, thread snips, paper), pins/clips, scrap paper, pigma pens, etc.
  • Fabric – of course! and anything else special you may need for a project.
  • Ironing suplies: iron, board, wool mat, and starch &/or water bottle, and iron cleaning sheets/solution.

Personal:

• Clothing
  • Sleeping
  • Washing
  • Bedding
  • Medications/Vitamins
  • Food

You can download the list here. This way you can edit it in the spreadsheet of your choice. Here is a pdf, too, for those who don’t “do” spreadsheets.

Join the Linky Party!

Now it’s your turn to post, and the rules are simple – write up a tip or group of tips or a tutorial that is quilting or sewing-related and link that post below. The linky party is open from 12:01 am on the 21st (only this month), through midnight on 31st. The post does not have to be new but should be one that hasn’t been linked to Tips and Tutorials in the past. If you don’t have a blog, please send it to me (kathleen@kathleenmcmusing.com) and I will post your tip or tutorial for you!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Past Tips and Tutorials

In case you didn’t know, if you have missed some past #TTot22, you can check them out in the tab at the top of my page or on my Pinterest board.

Coming Up on My Blog

Well, I do hope to finish something before the end of the month. I have a 2 charity quilts and almost 4 tops that could be done…let’s see how much quilting gets done this weekend!

Charity quilts
Yoga 2
Carolyn Friedlander/Villa Rosa Pattern
Diatom

1. May 22, 2024 / 8:20 AM

Great idea, having a permanent retreat packing list. It’s too easy to forget something in all the last minute packing. I had a similar list years ago, when I went to an annual retreat that was hours away.

2. May 22, 2024 / 8:32 AM

The name “cottage” has a nice ring to it. Good luck getting things where you want! Making an Excel spreadsheet is one of my favorite things to do! What a nice list you have. Before I ever knew about Excel, I used to start lists by hand before trips. I had one for each one of our kids, and one for my husband and me. Checking things off the list was so satisfying, then I got to enjoy the trip! Good times. 🙂

3. May 22, 2024 / 1:40 PM

Your list looks very similar to the one I send out to participants … it gets updated almost every year as there is usually something that someone forgets! Thanks for sharing your list!

4. May 22, 2024 / 8:40 PM

I had hoped to be going on retreat tomorrow. Alas, it was postponed. I will be sure to share this post with fellow retreaters as the rescheduled event gets closer. Thanks, Kathleen!

5. May 23, 2024 / 1:31 AM

Great list, and thanks for sharing the Google sheet and PDF! Don’t forget to pack charging cords, too (I just had to purchase some on a quick trip because I forgot them). Although, at some point, my husband and I have gotten to the point where if we have our IDs and a credit card, we have concluded we can make almost any situation work out.

6. Vicki in MN
    May 23, 2024 / 8:21 AM

Enjoy your retreat, have fun and get lots done! How far do you have to travel to get there?

7. May 24, 2024 / 9:30 PM

I have a list that is handwritten from oh probably 15+ years ago, that I keep in the rolling toolbox I used to take on retreats. I haven’t been on an overnight one in gosh over 12 years! It really helps lessen the stress of remembering everything.