Purple Passion – A Finished Quilt

Do you ever wonder where time goes? I sure do – here we are, nearly a third of the way through May and I am finally finishing a top that was done in March. Now, I was busy packing and celebrating Easter with my family but still. The truth is, this was really a fun little quilt for a few reason, which I will share with you.

My Fun Making this Quilt Top

There are at least 4 reasons this quilt top was fun to make:

First, this quilt comes from a Villa Rosa Pattern from the Blog Hop in January. It is now called On Stage (formerly Gypsy Rose…she was On Stage) so that is how I will remember the new name.

Second, a group of friends met and sewed in late March. I made the top that day but it took me a little while to finish it; I did need to purchase a back and binding for it and add a border.

Third, I took a class from Megan Best on using ProStitcher Designer and did the homework. I made this design, not fancy, but I used it to quilt this quilt. This class was on zoom. You can catch her on Best Quilter on facebook to watch for updates.

And the fourth item is a continuation of the third, in that I also made a signature in that class and used it on this quilt!

The Quilt

The pattern calls for 10″ squares and I had some. That made it easy. It was fun to get the border on and get it loaded on the frame.

In order to add the signature, I wanted to remember to do two things: 1) put it in the bottom corner, and 2. flip the writing. You can see I removed my basting stitches…yup I forgot #1. This way it is only on the back and only reads correctly. Cool beans! ProStitcher makes this possible for me (the computer program for the HandiQuilter).

And here is a close-up of it on the back!

A bright day and suddenly this purple quilt looks blue.

And yes, I did finish it. Maybe a little closer to the real colors in today’s light!

Quilt Stats

Purple Passion 41.5″ x 50.5″
Pattern “On Stage” by Villa Rosa Designs
My own pantograph and signature
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Thread for sewing: Aurifil Dove
Quilting Thread: So Fine Lilac #440 and Barely Purple #501

Coming Up on My Blog

Hoping to be quilting like mad as all these quilts are ready for the frame!
Fire and Rain

Fabric out this month: 5.25 yards
Fabric in this year: 6 yards
Fabric out this year: 37.75 yards
NET Fabric:    -43 yards

1. Laurel
    May 10, 2024 / 5:52 AM

I love everything about this quilt! The quilt pattern is a beautiful way to use all of those purples! The slow wave quilting pattern fits the top perfectly and I really like the way you figured out how to write your name!

2. Vicki in MN
    May 10, 2024 / 7:32 AM

Indeed you picked the right color for this quilt;) That is a really neat trick for adding your signature to the back only!!

3. May 10, 2024 / 8:41 AM

Wow, is that ever pretty! It glows! I love the quilting design, too, along with the signature. Definitely cool beans!

4. May 10, 2024 / 9:35 AM

I’d forgotten all about this quilt, which is the pattern I also did for the hop. Mine was multicoloured, but I really like your tonal version and think I might just have to drop everything and make one…very cool idea for the signature too. I must say!

5. May 10, 2024 / 11:32 AM

What a lot of fun memories packed into this quilt! I love that you digitized your name so you can add that to your quilts going forward. Congratulations on the lovely finish. 🙂

6. Barbara T
    May 10, 2024 / 12:12 PM

Love it! The purples, the customized quilt pattern, your signature – must feel like a super-satisfying finish!

May 10, 2024 / 12:36 PM

You continually surprised me with this blog post, Kathleen! First of all, the name change on the quilt pattern we are so well acquainted with!!! Then your self-made panto–fab!!! And your signature design–super cool! Putting it on the back only, in reverse from the front!?! Wow, love everything about this quilt! Now I need to go make an On Stage quilt!!!

8. May 11, 2024 / 8:36 AM

Kathleen I love that quilt so much, and the quilting on it is so pretty. When I saw your flimsy during the blog hop, it inspired me to make one with purples and greens. I am ready to sandwich and quilt it and have a draft post crediting you with the inspiration! 😀

9. May 11, 2024 / 12:58 PM

So cool, Kathleen! Love the signature trick! 🙂

10. May 11, 2024 / 1:58 PM

It looks beautiful. Love the signature!!!

11. Chrisknits
    May 11, 2024 / 8:59 PM

I knew you would have a finish. And it’s wonderful. The fabrics give it such a rich look! And great way to finish it off with your own design using your ProS. Someday I will get one. But it is not this day. LOL! Thanks for linking with TGIFF!

12. May 12, 2024 / 10:41 AM

You learned a ton of great things – I love your idea for stitching your signature into the quilt – that is definitly Cool Beans!!!

13. May 16, 2024 / 6:30 PM

I think the subtle wavy lines are most effective! They add a nice sense of movement to a top with a rigid geometry. Love that approach!

14. May 19, 2024 / 5:13 PM

Love the quilt, your quilting and your signature!! How fun. I would love to take a class from Megan. She is so nice and I love to watch both her and Jane quilt on their little videos they share! Purple Passion is a great name for the quilt! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog. However, if this is a blog hop, I sometimes am a bit delayed in replying and do miss a few. I will do my best!