SAHRR 2024 – Round 6

Wow! We are at the final round, week number 6, for the 2024 Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR) and I am the leader of the round. My choice for this round is letters and numbers! This should be fun as there are so many ways to make this happen. In fact, when we were planning this I was sure I would be doing one thing, and now I am not! I also found this the hardest one for me, so let’s looks at some ideas and what I decided to do before you get sewing.

Letters and Numbers

There are so many ways to make letters or numbers for this next round. All you need to do is tell me the story of how you are using letters and/or numbers in your round! That is it. Now, here are a few ideas for how to accomplish this round.

First, lets look at these blocks.
First Row: Cross X, 4 Blade Dresden Fan, Y Block
Second Row: 16 Patch, Wide Cross X, 9 patch Variation
Third Row: Classic T, Double X, A

As you can see, there are lots of blocks with numbers or letters and any with one or both in the name will work (you can refer to the last weeks for some 4s if you need some ideas there). There are other ways, too, as you can embroider words or numbers (hand or machine) on your border. You can use appliqué (hand or machine) or improv piecing to make letters or numbers.

Here are some easy block letters and numbers. You could easily make a block by using this grid and making it work! Both sets are seem to be on a 5×7 grid for the letters itself. Of course, you could do something with fabric that has letters or numbers OR even your label for the quilt, which could even be on the front!

My choice

What did I choose? Well, when I was thinking of this prompt I was sure it was going to be fabric. I have fabric with letters and numbers, but none of it was appropriate for the quilt I made. See that fabric, in the stash builder bundle, that was one of the possibilities. There are more in my stash…but none made the cut.

I went with a signature block like the first round with embroidery! I was shocked but this really worked out best. The block is 4″ and the signature band is about 1 1/4″. In case you are wondering the font I used is called “Heart Maze Bean Stitch” and it is available Designs by JuJu. I like it as it is has a lot of sizes and works well for labels and writing on a quilt. I stabilized by spraying my piece with Terial Magic Fabric Stabilizer* and also used Sulky Iron On Tear Away. The block was foundation pieced with freezer paper! Printed 2 blocks and reused them – fabulous!

The thread is a Floriani color called Medium Blue (#PF365). I would have thought it would have had a more interesting name as it is gorgeous.

I love the way this looks. Right now, I am at 40″ square. Honestly, I love the green that comes through the corners of the quilt. The words that reflect the sea glass theme and all things beach-y is just perfect. There may be a surprise added to the quilt, but I have to try it in real life. I have auditioned it in Electric Quilt and like it, so I hope when I do it in real life I like it to.

Enjoy your week! Feel free to email with any questions.

Linky Party

I am so excited to see what you choose to do with your blocks. Remember to come back here to link up your blocks when you finish. Feel free to email me a picture if you don’t blog and we can add it! There are prizes and you have until Sunday night to post your pic! Come play – its fun.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

You can go back and see linky parties here for the center block, round 1, round 2, round 3, round 4 and round 5 if you want to see what the other participants are up to!

Schedule

Here is our schedule. This week is easy, so pick a blog and link up!

• January 15th: SAHRR starts!  Center Block with Gail of @ Quilting Gail
  • January 22nd: 1st Round: Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts ✔ (signature block)
  • January 29th: 2nd Round:   Anja @ Anja Quilts ✔ (2 colors)
  • February 5th: 3rd Round: Emily @ The Darling Dogwood ✔ (triangle)
  • February 12th: 4th Round:   Brenda @ Songbird Designs ✔ (square in square/on point)
  • February 19th: 5th Round: Gail @ Quilting Gail  ✔<=== (the number 4 – quilter’s choice)
  • February 26th: 6th Round: Kathleen @ Kathleen McMusing <=== (letters and numbers)
  • March 18th:   Parade: Link your finished SAHRRs!

Coming Up on My Blog

Linking

SAHRR Round 6
Monday Musings

1. February 26, 2024 / 1:50 AM

Love what you ended up doing, Kathleen! It looks great! 🙂

2. February 26, 2024 / 7:15 AM

Isn’t that too funny how where we think the quilt will go does not happen but what it wants us to do is just the best. Love this.

3. lynn bourgeois
    February 26, 2024 / 7:15 AM

This embroider is lovely. I still haven’t learned how to use my machine, but hopefully some day. This RR has been so much fun. Pinwheels have been on my wish list for this project, so I think they might just play a part in the final border. As you said, they are a four. Thanks for your help Kathleen

4. February 26, 2024 / 8:03 AM

Those signature blocks add the perfect corners, color and embroidery! Love your quilt and can’t wait to see your final.

5. kewagner7d65629885
    February 26, 2024 / 9:30 AM

Thank you for the inspiration! So many ideas!

6. February 26, 2024 / 10:25 AM

I love all of the ideas you provided. Your choice of the signature blocks is lovely. Now to start thinking about how I want to incorporate this in my quilt. Hmmmmm…..

7. February 26, 2024 / 11:34 AM

I love how the prompts allow for creative interpretation this year, and your embroidered words are a fabulous choice. I look forward to seeing if this additional idea you have makes the cut or not!

8. Eva
    February 26, 2024 / 1:31 PM

Only my friend is very good in writing freehand motion quilting!! My machine dont give a good result, so I skip any idea of writing or taking the letters …. It will be a hard work for my „thinking head“…will see, if I can sleep tonight. I love how you motivated and your ideas helps so much. Your result is a wonderful work.
    The big fun with SAHRR… is that if you participate you have quickly (!) producing ideas with the given task! So, often just do and not tooo much thinking. Incredible that we are nearly finished!!! Thanks so much to all of you to make this SAHRR happen, its a lot of preparation in advance and organization in these week! Thank you

9. February 26, 2024 / 1:56 PM

What a clever idea for your border blocks! Will be fun to see how everyone interprets this border idea!

10. February 26, 2024 / 3:14 PM

I continue to LOVE how you present many different ideas for each round! I’m also loving your signature blocks with words so appropriate for your quilt! I look forward to seeing your finish!

11. February 26, 2024 / 4:44 PM

Hi Kathleen! The last row already!! What a fun and clever idea. I just love how this project came together. The colors are beautiful together. Everything has done its job to enhance your beautiful centerpiece. FAB! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

February 26, 2024 / 6:01 PM

Clever addition of letters, Kathleen!!! I like it!

13. February 27, 2024 / 2:38 PM

Looks great, Kathleen. Another great idea for using the embroidery machine. Once my blog gets migrated and back up and running I’ll rewrite my post and get it linked up…hopefully before the party ends! LOL

14. March 1, 2024 / 11:17 PM

I love your seaglass colors – so pretty! Embroidering the words in the corners was a great idea, too. Thanks for an interesting prompt!

15. March 2, 2024 / 2:29 PM

That is a beautiful round robin! All of the quilts came out so wonderfully. Adding letter sis a great idea.

16. March 2, 2024 / 5:53 PM

What a beautiful font in your embroidery! I like how the words relate to the quilt and all start with S’s! The repetition of the signature block really pulls your eye in to the interior of the top. And the blue thread on green is stunning. Thanks for the interesting prompt this week. I enjoyed the variety of interpretations in all the quilts.

17. March 3, 2024 / 3:42 PM

Those embroidered signature blocks go beautifully with all your other fabrics and borders 🙂

• cathy wells
      March 22, 2024 / 10:26 PM

I love the signature…reminds me of old quilts that had them