SAHRR 2024 – Round 4

Week number 4 for the 2024 Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR) is today. Your prompt for your quilt comes from Brenda @ Songbird Designs and she is asking us to do either a square in a square or something on point! I love this – again so many choices – put your block on point, that immediately gets you a bigger quilt, or make an illusion of it being on point (my approach) or make blocks on point – you can put any block on point your heart desires! This years prompts are often more open ended which gives the quilter a lot of choice in her designs. Lets look at some possibilities and see what I did.

On Point or Square in a Square

Here are some options for blocks…just for fun.As I have been doing some weeks, I made a little quilt with some square in a square or blocks on point. Simple and fun and so many things we could do.

The first one on the left is fun, 4 –4 patches on point. The next is a simple square in a square. The pinwheel is set on point in a square and then added borders to it. Looking at row two, we have a triple square in a square, then a checkerboard block, center turned on point, and finally a double square in a square. In the third row, I love this bottom left block, but don’t know that I would do it, but it is fun to imagine. The snowball is next and it works too as it eliminates the worry about matching points. And, I included a basket as they are often on point blocks.

A “Fake” Square in a Square

This is one way to do a square in a square but not get so big. I would use flying geese or half square triangles to border the 4 sides. This will allow for it to get bigger, but without putting on large triangles and it would still look like a square in a square!

Here is my design board with the blocks attached. The formula is pretty simple. Measure the outside of the piece…mine was 16 1/2″. That means it would finish at 16″. You divide by 2 and that is the finished size square you are going for 8″. Usually you add 7/8″. I couldn’t be bothered so I would add an 1″ or 1 1/4″. It just gives you plenty for trimming and in my book is always nice to have a little more! There is a great tutorial and charts here for HSTs.

And here is a more glamorous shot. I really love the sea glass fabric, and was happy to be able to use it in this round. I am filling in the corners on the next round. Remember to check out all the hosts – Gail will be a little late today as she has an Island Batik Log Cabin quilt to show first, so go to it a little later in the day to see what she did.

Linky Party

I am so excited to see what you choose to do with your blocks. Remember to go the Brenda @ Songbird Designs to link up your blocks when you finish. Feel free to email me a picture if you don’t blog and we can add it! There are prizes and you have until Sunday night to post your pic! Come play – its fun.

You can go back and see linky parties here for the center block, round 1, round 2, and round 3, if you want to see what the other participants are up to!

Schedule

Here is our schedule. This week is easy, so pick a blog and link up!

• January 15th: SAHRR starts!  Center Block with Gail of @ Quilting Gail
  • January 22nd: 1st Round:    Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts ✔ (signature block)
  • January 29th: 2nd Round:   Anja @ Anja Quilts ✔ (2 colors)
  • February 5th: 3rd Round: Emily @ The Darling Dogwood ✔ (triangle)
  • February 12th: 4th Round:   Brenda @ Songbird Designs<=== (square in square/on point)
  • February 19th: 5th Round: Gail @ Quilting Gail
  • February 26th: 6th Round:  Kathleen @ Kathleen McMusing
  • March 18th:  Parade: Link your finished SAHRRs!

Coming Up on My Blog

My blog is a little slow as I am finishing things for next week when it is super busy! What was I thinking – I apparently wasn’t but there is plenty of content in the next few weeks. Also, I am a participant in the Villa Rosa Blog hop in March, and am beginning to sew on that project, too during this time!

Linking

SAHRR Round 4
Monday Musings

1. February 12, 2024 / 8:18 AM

Very clever square in a square, and it is so pretty! It’s fun seeing how everyone interprets the prompts. Hope you have a great week!

2. Vicki in MN
    February 12, 2024 / 10:30 AM

Oh I like that you thought outside the box with a faux sq. in a sq!

3. February 12, 2024 / 10:39 AM

Very clever Kathleen!!!

4. February 12, 2024 / 10:48 AM

Oooh, great options in your mockup (I love the block in the lower left hand corner, too). And making the entire quilt up until this round look like it is on point is a fun interpretation of the prompt!

5. kewagner7d65629885
    February 12, 2024 / 12:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas… love what you decided on! I would never have thought to use 2 flying gees for a square in a square… so cool!

6. Janice
    February 12, 2024 / 5:33 PM

I like your take on the square in a square. Neat illusion!

7. February 12, 2024 / 5:58 PM

This is gorgeous!!!!! I love the effect of square in a square, and it frames what you have so far so well!

8. February 13, 2024 / 4:40 PM

Hi Kathleen! I just love your method for a sneaky way of making the square in a square block. It looks fabulous with your center piece! It’s a keeper in my book. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

9. Chrisknits
    February 14, 2024 / 7:01 PM

Wonderful interpretation!!! It’s coming along so well.

10. February 15, 2024 / 6:39 PM

What a great idea to make your whole quilt this week’s prompt. The sea glass fabric really shines. I love all of your ideas and tips for each prompt.

11. February 16, 2024 / 8:34 PM

It’s been a week… So I’m just now isiting the hosts to see what you each did, and do I love your idea! That sea glass fabric is gorgeous and works perfectly in this round.

12. February 17, 2024 / 9:48 AM

Haha – clever you! I love where this is going!

13. February 17, 2024 / 4:27 PM

I love how you made the entire quilt into a square in a square! Great job, Kathleen! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

14. February 17, 2024 / 4:28 PM

I love how you made your entire quilt into a square in a square. Very cute! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

15. February 18, 2024 / 11:25 AM

This was a clever way to get your square in square effect without taking up too much space. It’s nice to see some bigger areas of fabric with that lovely sea glass pattern 🙂

16. February 26, 2024 / 9:45 PM

Fun prompt and a lovely addition to your growing quilt top, Kathleen!

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog.