SAHRR 2024 – Round 3

The lucky number today is 3, as it is the 3rd round of prompts for our 2024 Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR). It has been fun to see the linkups for the week, and I know you are all wondering what the prompt is. Emily @ The Darling Dogwood is leading the way this week and her prompt is TRIANGLES. Again, you are given a lot of options with this prompt, so have fun.

We are Halfway!

There is good news, we are halfway through the project. You have picked a center block and followed two prompts: signature blocks and 2 colors. This week’s triangle is #3 so we are really half way through the design process.

Here are a few triangle blocks for you – most you saw last week but I did add one or two more…snowball, heart, pyramid, pinwheel, half square triangle, two stars, a double cross and bow tie.

Don’t forget there are triangles in these blocks, too – the half rectangle and the flying geese!

Choosing a block

I had a couple of choices, but decided to continue on with some spikey-ness and use the pyramid. Hold tight, I didn’t paper piece these. I pulled out my handy Tri-Recs or Tri-Tool ruler by Ez Quilting*. It works like a charm! I have a file drawer with some of my rulers that are used less frequently and their instructions. Now I am thinking there are a few that need to move to that drawer as I brought all my rulers up from our apartment outside of Boston. Yikes is right!

Here’s how I made the blocks. After cutting the pieces according to the directions, I would lay one at a time out. This is not one I can chain piece and that is okay with me. I pay attention to the pieces and the points so I have close to a 1/4″ in the seam when I go to put them together.

I then turn one side over onto the triangle and check that these two spots are lined up. You need the 1/4″ triangle showing at the top.

I sew one side then the next.

Finally, you have a block. Here’s the thing I meant to do, before I pieced it, but I didn’t – trim to desired size. As I placed them on the block, I realized there were some inaccuracies, but I made it work. Maybe you will remember. I did have to fuss a few and if you look closely, you may see a few that are not entirely lined up, but they work for me. This will be a baby quilt or wall hanging and it will not be noticeable once quilted (or so I tell myself).

It was a little sunnier today, so I actually got an even better picture….

Linky Party

I am so excited to see what you choose to do with your blocks. Remember to go the The Darling Dogwood to link up your blocks when you finish. Feel free to email me a picture if you don’t blog and we can add it! There are prizes and you have until Sunday night to post your pic! Come play – its fun.

You can go back and see linky parties here for the center block, round 1 and round 2, if you want to see what the other participants are up to!

Schedule

Here is our schedule. This week is easy, so pick a blog and link up!

Coming Up on My Blog

Linking

SAHRR Round 3
Monday Musings

Fabric DeStash

Not much progress since the beginning of the month, but there are a lot of quilts in the pipeline. If all goes well there will be 4 finished quilts!
January Fabric IN: 4.75 Yards
January Fabric OUT: 15.25 Yards
Net Fabric: -10.5 Yards

1. February 5, 2024 / 8:37 AM

Good morning, Kathleen! I love the spikey-ness of the block you chose. They’re not just for dinosaurs! Great tips on how to sew the pieces together. It’s a tricky block with the edges being cut on the bias. They love to stretch if you look at them too harshly but not expecting perfection goes a long way and it’s how I play, too. I love how your piece is coming together. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

2. February 5, 2024 / 9:09 AM

Love how your triangles look with the rest of the block, and the blues are really pretty. Thanks for showing us the steps!

3. February 5, 2024 / 9:14 AM

We were clearly mind-melding this week – I made the same unit with the same ruler. Yours are framing your quilt nicely!

4. February 5, 2024 / 9:39 AM

LOVE those sea colors and bubbly prints, Kathleen! As always, thanks for sharing hints and tips along with the photos of your quilt’s progress.

5. February 5, 2024 / 10:34 AM

This round looks great, and somehow its addition really makes the 2nd round’s woven effect stand out.

6. February 5, 2024 / 11:29 AM

This is so helpful Kathleen. I have used my tri-rec rulers and haven’t had great success. I will keep this post for future reference.

7. February 5, 2024 / 11:52 AM

Love your colors. I also appreciate your examples each week of what we could do

8. February 5, 2024 / 1:07 PM

Love the Tri-Recs ruler … so fun to make different blocks! Yours look great!

9. Judy B
    February 5, 2024 / 1:20 PM

Thanks for the steps again. I don’t do those often and they always cause me a bit of trouble! I’m trying to use up the scraps I pulled and could only get 3 HST. I’ll post on Darling Dogwood soon as they are attached !

10. Chrisknits
    February 6, 2024 / 9:29 AM

Love the overall look of your SAHRR! It’s so calming with the colors, and so vibrant with the lines, so it keeps you eye moving.

11. February 6, 2024 / 3:29 PM

This can be a tricky block, so I really appreciate your close-up photos and tips! 🙂

12. February 8, 2024 / 7:12 PM

Thanks for the tutorial on how to make the “peaky and spike” block. I remember learning about it years ago on a quilting show on TV, but I’m not sure whether I have ever really made it. Maybe because I don’t have the ruler? I may have tried FPP, although it would be tricky to get the orientation right. Anyways, your block looks wonderful around the quilt.

13. kewagner7d65629885
    February 9, 2024 / 4:05 PM

Love those blocks!

14. February 11, 2024 / 4:00 PM

Those pyramid triangles look great. Thank you for the tutorial 🙂

15. February 11, 2024 / 4:35 PM

Love how your triangles look with the rest of your quilt, Kathleen!! The blues are so very calming! Fun quilt! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!!

16. February 11, 2024 / 9:52 PM

I love how the whole thing has a woven look! I love these colors.

I love hearing from you and reply promptly to each comment by email. I will publish replies if there is something that is helpful to the readers of my blog.