Today is the first day of the Stay at Home Round Robin for 2024. It is the perfect time of year for this sew along. We often get stuck home due to weather, so it is fun to have a project just for that.
Its time to join in the fun and the first assignment is easy! Pick an orphan block and sew along with us.
I had three blocks in contention. Each is a different size. It has been dark, so I am not totally thrilled with the pictures, so please excuse them.
The largest is this block. This was a test block for Blooming Desert, a quilt that I made for Island Batik. The problem is I don’t have a lot of orange in my stash, and I wasn’t thrilled with the size. It is a 16″ block so adding a few go rounds could get it quite big.
Next up was this fun one. It was a test block for a Three Dudes pattern called Majestic Mountains. I know I made more but I have no memory of what that quilt looked like or where it went. I had some fabric, but not alot, so this is in a pile for another SAHRR or experiment.
This is the winner! I love the seaglass fabric. I have more of it. It is small, but 8″ is a nice way to start. I will aim for a nice baby sized quilt.
What to Consider?
- Do you like the block?
- Do you have fabric to go with the block, especially background or more of the feature fabric?
- How big do you want it to get? You could be adding 6 rows/borders all around…8″ + 6 borders of 4″ gets you to a 56″ square quilt, so think about that a little. It is one of the reasons I often combine two prompts and make cornerstones one week and blocks for the border another week.
- What might you do with it?
- Will it hold your interest?
What Should I Do Now??
Pick a block or two. Pull some fabric. Take a picture and link up with us. That is all you need to do to play along. Feel free to ask questions, we love chatting with our readers!
Please link up on Gail’s Post. In order to qualify to enter for prizes from our sponsors, we need to know who you are and how to contact you. It is best to link with a blog or Instagram. If you do not have either, feel free to send me your round each week, I’ll post it on my blog and enter you into the draw. My email is email@example.com”
Remember my Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd had an EQ8 tutorial to help you load your photo into a project. This week’s tutorial will talk a little about figuring divisions for borders.
Here is our schedule. This week is easy, so pick a blog and link up!
- January 15th: SAHRR starts! Center Block with Gail of @ Quilting Gail
- January 22nd: 1st Round: Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life
- January 29th: 2nd Round: Anja @ Anja Quilts
- February 5th: 3rd Round: Emily @ The Darling Dogwood
- February 12th: 4th Round: Brenda @ Songbird Designs
- February 19th: 5th Round: Gail @ Quilting Gail
- February 26th: 6th Round: Kathleen @ Kathleen McMusing
- March 18th: Parade: Link your finished SAHRRs!
Coming Up on My Blog
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – 1/21/24 (a day early)
SAHRR Round 1 – 1/22/22
SAHRR Round 2 – 1/29/22
SAHRR Round 3 – 2/5/22
It Moose Be Love – 2/19/22
Sea Glass Joy
SAHRR Center Block
Fabric in this month: 0 yards
Fabric out this month: 15.25 yards
Fabric in this year: 0. yards
Fabric out this year: 15.25 yards
NET Fabric: -15.25 yards