SAHRR 2024 – Round 1

This is the first prompt for our 2024 Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR) and it is always one that has everyone on the edge of their seats. Wendy, from Pieceful Thoughts, is our prompt-tress (temptress) today and has chosen the Signature Block for her round.

Signature Blocks

Signature quilts became popular in the 1800s. There were a few blocks that were typically used, but anything with space for writing or embroidering your name works. The above are blocks that Block Base (based on the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, by Barbara Brackman) calls signature blocks and gives you an idea. As mentioned before, if there is space to write your name, it can be a signature block.

My Signature Block

My choice was a simple block with the diagonal strip.

I change it up a little bit, and reversed the colors, so the white is on the outside and the color is on the strip.

For me, I choose a bright green. My block finishes at 2″, 2 1/2″ unfinished. I am including a foundation pattern that you can download for 2″, 3″ and 4″ finished block. Clicking on the button will open the file and you can download it, save it to your computer and print at 100% (not scale).

I used newsprint to print the blocks.

I also use a glue stick to temporarily hold my first piece in place.

I decided on four blocks for the cornerstones.

I haven’t finalized the direction they will go in, or whether others will appear in the quilt, but here are two visions of what could happen.

Also, I could have done it all around the block. I even changed the colors to show you what difference that might make.

By now you know, I like to play in EQ. Remember there are some EQ tutorials on importing photos here and adding borders here, that can help with your playing with your blocks.

I am so excited to see what you choose to do with your blocks. Remember to go the Pieceful Thoughts to link up your blocks when you finish. Feel free to email me a picture if you don’t blog and we can add it! There are prizes and you have until Sunday night to post your pic! Come play – its fun.

Schedule

Here is our schedule. This week is easy, so pick a blog and link up!

Coming Up on My Blog

I am hoping to get back to sewing on Tuesday. It is nearly a week since I returned from retreat and I have yet to touch anything I sewed…but we had a travel day Thursday, some house things Friday and this weekend was blogging and church…Tuesday is wide open and I can get working on my list

SAHRR Round 2 – 1/29/24
SAHRR Round 3 – 2/5/24
It Moose Be Love – 2/19/24
Diatom  Finish
Sea Glass Joy
Commissioned Baby Quilts

Linking

SAHRR Round 1
Monday Musings

Fabric Stash

1. January 22, 2024 / 8:21 AM

Great color choice, and the blocks look perfect with your center block. I love seeing all the various iterations!

2. Chrisknits
    January 22, 2024 / 8:22 AM

You know I am off to play in EQ8 to see what I can come up with for my block. So much fun playing on this side of the fence this year.

3. January 22, 2024 / 8:44 AM

Nice post, Kathleen, and of course I love your border! (I need to get my EQ8 talking with my Mac at some point – upgrades, etc.)

4. Cocoa Quilts
    January 22, 2024 / 10:04 AM

Kathleen you have so many choices. It is great to be able to see how they would each play out. Waiting to see what you chose!

5. January 22, 2024 / 10:07 AM

Hi Kathleen! Oh, a wide OPEN day coming up. Aren’t they just the best. The possibilities are endless. Is your center block a Lady of the Lake? I have always wanted to make a quilt using that block. And, I just LOVE the Signature block, too. Hmm. I like the first layout picture you showed because it gently pulls out the green in your center block. It also points the way to the next round so I look forward to seeing where you take it. Can’t wait! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

6. January 22, 2024 / 10:40 AM

Great start to the round robin. I enjoyed seeing the choices you showed us with EQ8 – loads of possibilities!

7. January 22, 2024 / 12:45 PM

I like the way you inverted the color position and that you seem to be waiting to get information for next week’s prompt before sewing this to your center block.

8. January 22, 2024 / 4:30 PM

Your cornerstone blocks look great! the green & white certainly highlight your centre block! Happy Quilting! 🙂

9. Kathleen Scargle McCormick
    January 22, 2024 / 6:24 PM

Test

10. January 25, 2024 / 6:32 AM

Thank you for showing us the various Signature Blocks. I love your choice. So much movement. It is going to a fun ride.

11. January 25, 2024 / 6:40 PM

I like how you included different options for signature blocks and a pattern. Foundation piecing makes these nice and precise. I haven’t tried glue as I’m a big klutz, but I have used a little piece of double stick tape and found it worked much better than the pins I used to use. I’m looking forward to seeing how you fill in between your cornerstones. Love the green/blue combo!

12. Cheryl R Parker
    January 27, 2024 / 9:41 AM

I love the Garden Maze with the green centers. I might use that for my guilds round robin that starts next month.

13. January 27, 2024 / 2:48 PM

Thanks for sharing additional Signature blocks, Kathleen. Your project is off to a beautiful beginning!

14. January 28, 2024 / 12:44 AM

Love how it is looking so far! I am considering if I can still catch up…. 🙂 xx

15. January 28, 2024 / 11:22 AM

It’s very interesting to see all the options you’ve shown. I’ll look forward to seeing which you choose 🙂

16. January 28, 2024 / 1:55 PM

I like all the options you’ve shown. I’ll be interested to see which you choose 🙂

17. anudge
    January 29, 2024 / 1:41 AM

Great colors. I like it!

18. January 31, 2024 / 8:43 PM

Your EQ8 mock-ups are wonderful, and I really appreciate you sharing the templates for the signature blocks. I used the 2” finished, and they worked wonderfully!

19. quiltinglearningcombo
    February 11, 2024 / 9:20 PM

Hi Kathleen, I really like your simple signature blocks. Thanks for the pattern.