SAHRR 2024 – Introduction

What is this acronym??? It stands for the Stay At Home Round Robin 2024 which begins in earnest next week. Its a wonderful way to use a favorite block you have sitting around that was a test for another project. Gail Shepphard of QuiltingGail began this project in 2020. Unfortunately, I did not do 2020 as my plate was full, but 2021 provided me time and energy to join in the fun! I also participated the next 2 years!

Each of these photos are linked to the final post of the SAHRR, which was linked to the parade of quilts, where we show off our work. I will begin to explain to you the process, give you the calendar, and some suggestions for picking your center block.

Introduction to SAHRR

SAHRR = Stay At Home Round Robin.

Round Robin quilting has been around for a while. The basic way it works is that the Quilter picks a block and sometimes fabric. The bee/group of other quilters is given a prompt they must follow and add to the center of the quilt. For instance, the first prompt might be 9-patches. This means you make 9-patch blocks and add them to the center. Then you pass to person #2, who follows prompt #2. It might be flying geese, so you add those. It continues until it is returned to the quilter, a completed top!

Many times, they look like medallion quilts. Here are 2 older quilts that were part of a traditional round robin with a bee. I no longer know what the rules where, although I could guess some of them. You have no control over what you get…but I have to say I loved both of these…both the expected and unexpected pieces. However, there are always those times it doesn’t quite work out. Maybe I didn’t want that mustard emphasized in the first quilt or the paler yellow or outside border in the second quilt. The good news is this all YOU so you are doing all the work.

Stay at Home Round Robin means you do all the work. You choose or make the center. You select fabrics. You complete the rounds. I was surprised at the collection of blocks in my studio and next week, you will see the one I picked. For me, I try to make sure I have fabrics that will work with it, especially background and fabrics I want to highlight.

What are the Rules?

So the good news is this group is not the quilt police. We like to have fun so there are no rules as to how you follow a round. You get to be a bit creative on how you manage a “round”. For instance, take a prompt like nine patch…think of some options.

1. Place nine patches all the way around the quilt.
2. Place nine patches in the corner.
3. Use the block and make one nine patch.
4. Find a non-traditional nine patch
5. Make a bunch and go all the way around.
6. Make a strippy quilt and make strips rather than round the center block.

It’s your top and your design. You get to interpret the prompt, how many blocks you make and the placement.

The Schedule

All the bloggers will post each week, however, there is one blogger “in charge” of the week who has made up our prompt. Here is the schedule:

Party Time

Each week there will be a linky party. You need to link up to be eligible for prizes. We are very fortunate with our sponsors. Here is a list of our sponsors to date:

Aurifil Thread
Island Batik
Hobbs Batting
Prairie Spirit Alpacas
Quiltery: For the Love of Geese
Oliso
Zipper Valley
and MORE!!!!

How Do I Participate?

Watch for instructions on that next week…but basically you will link to a linky party (or send your block to one of the hosts).

Coming Up on My Blog

I expect to have a finish this week – hooray. I am working a little ahead on my SAHRR which you will see as the month unfolds. Next week I am on retreat, finishing a partially pieced quilt, 2 actually and beginning another top.

Goals for 2024
Ultimate Travel Bag
SAHRR Center Block (1/15/24)
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd (1/21/24)
SAHRR Round 1 (1/22/24)
SAHRR Round 2 (1/29/24)
SAHRR Round 3 (2/5/24)
SAHRR Round 4 (2/12/24)
SAHRR Round 5 (2/19/24)
It Moose Be Love (2/21/24)
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd (2/22/24)
SAHRR Round 6 (2/26/24)
Diatom  Finish
Sea Glass Joy

Linky Party

1. January 9, 2024 / 8:46 AM

Love seeing your other SAHRR quilts, the 2003 one is gorgeous! I look forward to seeing all the goodness – I’ll be watching from the sidelines this year.

2. lynn bourgeois
    January 9, 2024 / 9:34 AM

I’ve picked my starting block, and am ready for the first instruction. I think this is going to be fun.

3. January 9, 2024 / 10:24 AM

Nice post, Kathleen! I’ll be working on my SAHRR today, too! It’s going to be a fun QAL!

4. January 9, 2024 / 11:15 AM

Hi Kathleen! Can’t wait to see where this year’s SAHRR goes. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

January 9, 2024 / 11:47 AM

Fun to see your RR quilts all at once, Kathleen! I’m looking forward to seeing your starting block!!!

6. Chrisknits
    January 9, 2024 / 2:19 PM

Excited to play along as I did the first year Gail did the SAHRR. Must decide on my block to start first.

7. January 9, 2024 / 2:44 PM

This is going to be fun, my second year. I think (emphasis on think) I have my starting block… I’m using orphan or test blocks only, aiming to empty that particular drawer! Absolutely love your previous three SAHRR quilts, just wow factor out the yin/yang!

8. January 13, 2024 / 10:19 PM

Welcome to the 2024 “design team, Kathleen!! I’m looking forward to what you will contribute to the project. (As a quilter who has chosen to play outside the “rules” each time I’ve participated, I love the fact that you highlighted the non-traditional ways to participate in the SAHRR!

9. Karrin Hurd
    January 22, 2024 / 12:29 PM

Love the way yours is looking! Thanks for showing all the variations of signature block!