Best of 2023 Blog Posts

This is one of my favorite posts each year, with Cheryl Brickey at Meadow Mists Designs cheering us on. Cheryl simply asks for us to share our favorites on our blogs. They can include posts with the most views, or most comments or most discussion or most loved by our readers, or simply my favorites. I will share a little of all of these with you!

#1: Soaring Views – Villa Rosa Blog Hope

Villa Rosa Blog Hop

Soaring Views was a quilt I made for the Villa Rosa Blog Hop. It is always nice when a blogging friend from afar makes connection for you and, for this one, I remain grateful to Bernie at Needle and Foot for sending Trica and the Villa Rosa team to me – you can visit Villa Rosa blog and the Villa Rosa Store without having to go to California…but then again…one might! I had a blast making this quilt from the pattern Hillside Charm and there were lots of visitors to my posts. It was a great way to start the new year.

#2 Organizing Tips for Complex Blocks

Another reader favorite was my tips for Organizing Tips for a Complicated Blocks. In it, I share things that have worked for me with complex blocks. The Elizabeth Hartman and Sew Fresh Quilts have lots of pieces and lots of similar sizes of fabric. This has worked very well for me in the two or three quilts and blocks I made in that style this year. I love sponsoring Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd and will continue this for another year – year 5!

#3 Fab Farm Quilt

This is my favorite quilt of the year, the one I made for my grandniece, Maeve. I held a Sew Along for Fab Farm and you can get to it all from here. I was a great help and allowed me to finish on time. A few others joined in, including my bee buddies Nancy from Grace and Peace Quilting and Wendy from Pieceful Thoughts, and you can see their quilts here, on the linky party.

#4 Calming Blues – Shades of Blue Blog Hop

I loved this quilt, Calming Blues and was glad my readers loved it too. It was a simple pattern, but I really love the effect. In fact, I think this may be my RSC 2024 block…strips on a rectangle of a sheet of paper size and we’ll see what I get!

#5 Polaris – SAHRR 2023

Stay at Home Round Robin

Polaris was made during the Stay at Home Round Robin in early 2023 (many of my favorite were early this year). I love modern look, using the greys and the bold colors. The center star was an early design and I still love it. This was my 3rd year or making random leftover blocks into a quilt by following prompts, and the fun news is that I am hosting this year. It begins soon (January 15th) and you can get all the details here.

Coming Up on My Blog

There is a retreat to plan for, projects to get ready to work on and blog posts to write. Our celebration of the new year will be mid-week, when we venture out for dinner, so there should be a blog post reviewing last year and setting goals for next year if I am a good girl on the 1st!

Diatom  Finish
Ultimate Travel Bag
Sea Glass Joy  (really behind on this)
SAHRR Center Block 1/15/24
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd
It Moose Be Love 2/21/24

Linking

Best of 2023 Party

Fabric Stash

End of the year tally!
Fabric in this year: 89.25 yards
Fabric out this year: 118 yards
NET Fabric:  -28.75 yards

December 31, 2023 / 6:31 PM

Fun review, Kathleen!! I loved your VRD quilt!!! The Fab Farm QAL was so timely for me! And what a great plan for the RSC!!! Best quilted wishes in 2024, friend!!!

2. December 31, 2023 / 7:03 PM

What a great recap of some of the highlights of your year. I love that a tips post made it in and the Fab Farm Quilt is such a delight, too.

3. karenfae
    December 31, 2023 / 8:46 PM

cute quilts – happy new year

4. January 1, 2024 / 1:10 AM

What great fun to see these quilts again – you’ve had a great year!

5. lynn bourgeois
    January 1, 2024 / 4:57 AM

I think you have had a great year, and the future looks bright as well. I think i am going to tag along for the fun with the SAHRR. It sounds like fun, and I love the results posted from this past year. ///looking forward to the 15th. Happy New Year.

6. January 1, 2024 / 8:52 AM

Such fun highlights, and I think Fab Farm quilt might be my favorite! I made a Villa Rosa design, Akito, for my great-nephew back in 2016. I love their patterns, always classic and pretty.

7. January 1, 2024 / 10:10 AM

That is a great *Best of* list!! Its fun to see all the things you did this year
    Happy 2024!!!

8. January 1, 2024 / 1:07 PM

Congrats on such a productive 2023, I really liked revisiting these quilts! Thanks for linking up with the Best of 2023.

9. January 2, 2024 / 8:30 PM

So many pretty quilts!! The hop for Villa Rosa was a fun one. So was SAHRR – I am already looking forward to the start of the round robin for this year. I found a cute, small panel to start with and good fabrics to go with it. Yahoo for starting something new!

10. Chrisknits
    January 2, 2024 / 9:08 PM

Such wonderful favorites!

11. January 3, 2024 / 6:45 AM

You may believe that you kept all those animals on the farm in their respective barns, sheds, coops etc. but I am telling you that I have seen them roaming far and wide all over the blogland. But don’t worry they were well-behaved and much loved 🙂 The Blue quilt is an inspiration. Wishing you lots of creativity and sewjo in the new year. Big Squishy Hugs.

12. January 4, 2024 / 10:17 AM

What a great group of favorites, Kathleen! Am I allowed to choose a favorite out of the bunch? I absolutely LOVE your Calming Blues quilt! I enjoyed that Blog Hop – even though I’m not a huge fan of the color.