Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – #45 – Favorite New Studio Tools

Welcome to this month’s edition of Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd where we share our favorite quilting or sewing tips and tutes! October is flying by…traveling will do that to you. I’ll post a little about my trip later, but I did want to share with you 2 new things in my sewing studio that make me happy every time I use them! I think some of you may need them in your sewing rooms, too.

Last Month’s Link Ups

Here are September’s links.

• Yvonne’s post on thread selection
  • Andrée’s post on fun free motion quilting designs

Some Posts that Caught My Eye

Summer is a busy time and moving into fall came up for me so quickly. I made notes of these posts, and thought you might like to take a look at some of them.

And now, we will move on to this month’s content.

Two New Sewing Tools

Stackable Thread Storage and a few others

The first problem I was trying to solve was how to store my embroidery threads. On the shop hop, I found these thread stackers*, that are made by OESD. They don’t look like much but they are great for these larger spools of thread. My threads are mostly Floriani but there I also have some Glide thread in this size. It really is nice to take apart and grab the threads you need.

Now, I do use other storage boxes and this is probably why I wanted a solution that was similar. For other threads (Aurifil and Mettler spools), I have used the Art Bin Thread storage* and like these alot.

They have been a workhorse in my studio for years.

And, in case you aren’t familiar with Art Bin’s other boxes* for storing projects, and they are far superior to some of the less expensive ones that I have bought in art supply stores….just saying.

This one is holding a number pf things that were on my old seeing cabinet. I needed a quick place to put them and this is working well for now. And, unlike my ziploc bags, (which I do use) they don’t slip and slide all over the place.

My New Favorite Seam Ripper

The Little Gypsy Lighted Seam Ripper* is awesome! I often need a little more light to see the stitch and this does the trick – especially when the stitches are tiny or the thread matches so closely it disappears into the fabric.

Join the Linky Party

Now it’s your turn to post, and the rules are simple – write up a tip or group of tips or a tutorial that is quilting or sewing-related and link that post below. The linky party is open from 12:01 am on the 22nd, through midnight on 31st. The post does not have to be new but should be one that hasn’t been linked to Tips and Tutorials in the past. If you don’t have a blog, please send it to me (kathleen@kathleenmcmusing.com) and I will post your tip or tutorial for you!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Past Tips and Tutorials

In case you didn’t know, if you have missed some past #TTot22, you can check them out in the tab at the top of my page or on my Pinterest board.

Coming Up on My Blog

Finish Yoga Quilt #1
Baby Girl Quilt
Diatom
Ultimate Travel Bag
SeaGlass Joy QAL

1. karenfae
    October 22, 2023 / 1:33 PM

Maybe this will help someone with foundation paper piece

2. October 22, 2023 / 2:54 PM

Hi Kathleen! Wow! I never would have thought about a lighted seam ripper but now I wonder how they weren’t invented earlier?! That is an amazing tip and one that I hope I don’t need to use too often, but when I do it would be REALLY handy. Thanks for the linky party! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

3. October 22, 2023 / 3:01 PM

Hi Kathleen, I have used the PDF making tool that you recommended last month. Thanks!

4. October 23, 2023 / 8:49 AM

I’m off to check out thread storage and the lighted ripper – great ideas!
    I love storing projects in bins. I have two IRIS rolling carts with clear plastic drawers/bins in use in my sewing space for my growing pile of UFOs. I label each drawer and can see each project at a glance.

5. October 23, 2023 / 9:31 AM

A lighted seam ripper – brilliant! I’m always hovering under my lamp to see the stitching that needs to be ripped.

6. October 30, 2023 / 6:00 PM

That lighted seam ripper–be still my… eyeballs, lol. I was just peering at my quilt top extracting a few stitches (picking out quilting is the worst) and thinking ugh I need more light here or better glasses – wait those are on their way.

7. November 9, 2023 / 3:56 AM

A seam ripper with a light!!! I had tweezers with a light – great for pulling loose threads from seams and cleaning around the bobbin race of my machine. But a seam ripper with a light!!!