Welcome to this month’s edition of Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd where you can learn how to remove the background of an image. It can be useful for all sorts of things…and can also have some unexpected results. I hope you enjoy playing with this new technique and join in on the linky party at the bottom of the page. It is open through the end of the month and I welcome new or old quilting/sewing tips or tutorials that you would like to share!
Last Month’s Link Ups
Here’s a list from last month’s link ups!
Binding a Quilt with Backing from Sandra,
Swirling Leaves from Andrée,
Background Fills from Rebecca,
Organizing Your Batting Scraps from Yvonne,
Hot and Cold Neck Wrap from Roseanne, and
Hand Quilting Tools from Karen.
If you didn’t visit them last month, this is a good time to check out what they shared.
Tutorial: Remove Background in Photo
Removing the background in a photo is something that has become very easy to do with the new versions of IOS. However, if you don’t have an IOS device, I am not leaving you out. I know another solution that I have used many times and it is browser-based so anyone who can get to a browser can use that solution. Let’s have some fun and learn how we can make a professional-looking item show up in our blogs as though we had fancy photography equipment.
On the iPhone (IOS 16)
- Select your photo and Save to Files. If you are unfamiliar with this, you select the box with arrow circled above. Scroll down and select Save to Files.
2. Open up the Files app and locate the image you want to use. DON’T open it.
3. On the file list, press on the thumbnail of the picture. You will bring up a menu.
4. Scroll until you see Quick Actions and press on that.
5. Press Remove Background
6. You will then see it in the folder, renamed with the background removed.
7. This is the one I was playing with.
On a Mac (Current Ventura)
- Find an image and make a copy of it and save it in a folder, not in the photos library.
- Using Finder, locate the image you want to use. DON’T open it.
- Click on the file name and then click the 3 dots on the far bottom right
3. You will see a menu on the bottom right of the screen. Select Remove Background.
4. A file with the same name will be placed in the same folder with “background removed” in the name!
On Other Devices
I don’t have other phones or computers available, but for you, there is a solution! There is a website where you can do it for free.
- Open remove.bg in a browser.
2. Select Upload Image or drag a file to the screen.
3. Once you have done that, you are given two options, with different image resolutions and even an option to add a design.
4. It will save your new picture to where your browser sends downloads, with “removebg-preview” added to the old filename. Here’s another example (you can see the last time I changed my blade on my rotary cutter).
Join the Linky Party
Now it’s your turn to post, and the rules are simple – write up a tip or group of tips or a tutorial that is quilting or sewing-related and link that post below. The linky party is open from midnight on the 22nd, through midnight on December 31st. The post does not have to be new but should be one that hasn’t been linked to Tips and Tutorials in the past. If you don’t have a blog, please send it to me (email@example.com) and I will post your tip or tutorial for you!
Past Tips and Tutorials
Coming Up on My Blog
I hope you enjoyed today’s tutorial. I will be replying but we are traveling the next two days so replies could be slow or emails get lost in the last minute deluge of sale emails. I will reply! Until then, enjoy your holidays!
Favorites of 2022
Looking Ahead to 2023
Shades of Blue Blog Hop 1/20/23
Tips and Tutorials 1/22/23
Villa Rosa Blog Hop 1/24/23